How to Play Online Slots
Slots are without a doubt the most popular forms of gambling and in the mean time, one of the simplest ones too. Playing slots requires pretty much no knowledge as there are no rules, but there still are a couple of things or better said, aspects that you should be aware of. We will concentrate on the slots that can be found in an online environment, but most aspects can also be applied to those machines that are offered at land based casinos too.
Types of Slot Machines
With thousands of slot machines offered there certainly is a pretty wide range of them to choose from. While counting every one of them might not be a good idea, listing the types that will help you to understand what machines are on the market certainly is.
- Video Slots are modern machines that are currently enjoying most popularity from all the types offered. The reason for this isn’t only the staggering graphics and animations featured by these, but also the fact that most slot machines that are developed after famous characters fall exactly in this category. These machines also stand out by featuring up to 243 pay-lines, amazing sound effects and overall gaming experience that is second to none.
- Classical Slots show the history of the whole concept of gambling machines. The first slot machine ever invented was a classical fruit machine featuring only 3 reels and a single pay-line. That’s exactly what these machines are all about. You won’t get mind blowing graphical or animational experience out of these, but they do their job perfectly and many old fashioned players still prefer these.
- 3D Slots are the latest innovation in the online gambling industry. While similar to video machines in terms of the overall experience brought to life, 3D games are going even further and add a touch of reality to the games. Even though these are fairly new, there are already a handful of developers out there and well over 100 3D Slot Machines in the online casino market.
Things to do before Playing Slots Online
Getting started and playing slots online is a surprisingly simple task. To make it easier on the eyes, I’ve decided to divide it in steps.
- Find an online casino – not just any casino, but one that is great for playing online slots. However, the most important thing is choosing a reputable and trusted brand. Regarding the best slots casinos, you should be looking for ones that offer slot games from MicroGaming or Net Ent. Alternatively you can also go with PlayTech powered casinos. These are the three largest developers of online slot machines so you’ll be able to choose from a wide range of very high quality games.
- Deposit Money – also a really easy task. If you don’t have a clue how to do this, approach the customer support and they will assist you through the whole way of doing it. Credit or Debit card is the handiest way for making a deposit at an online casino.
- Choose a game and play it – you are done and playing slots online is just seconds away now. The last thing is choosing a game you might like and playing it.
The Functionality of Online Machines
Online Slots are no different than the ones found at land based casinos, apart from the fact that you can access them from your computer on the internet. Every slot machine will feature these buttons:
- PayTable – shows the basics of the game. What are the payouts when various symbols appear on the reels as well as which are the wild and scatter symbols.
- PayLines – change the amount of the lines you are betting on. The more of them you play, the better your choices of winning. I would advise to always bet at all pay lines featured in the game.
- Bet or Coins – change the amount that you are betting per single pay-line. To determine the total bet per spin, simply multiply the amount of lines with bet per line. Most slots will show your total bet, though.
- Spin – quite obviously this button starts the game and spins symbols on the reels.
- Bet Max – be vary of this button as it will bet the maximum amount possible in the following spin. I have had missclicked on it, when playing games that allow wagers of up to $500 so that’s not a great experience.
Special Features and Symbols
Modern slots aren’t purely spinning the symbols over reels, even though that’s the main thing of theirs. You will also be able to enter exciting bonus games and win free spins along with a chance at having some serious payday, when some of the special symbols appear on the reels. Lets take a look at what most modern slots feature.
Wild Symbols are the most common ”special” ones and are used to substitute for any other symbol in the game as well as the most valuable symbols. Getting 5 of these appear on an active pay-line will entitle you for quitting your job right away!
Scatters are also the special symbols, they either are used to trigger the free spins or enter the bonus rounds. They also disregard the concept of pay-lines and offer a payout when at least two of them appear anywhere on the reels.
Bonus symbols are quite rare, but still offered. These are almost always your way towards entering the bonus round that particular slot you are playing features.
Free Spins & Bonus Rounds
These are extra features of most online slot machines and awarded on top of any winnings from spinning the reels. Free spins allow you to win real money without putting up any of yours on the line. Often you win even get a multiplier of up to 5x on any winnings during these rounds.
Bonus rounds on the other hand are for pure entertainment, but of course they will also award you with some nice cash prizes. Some slots, progressive ones to be exact, can feature a bonus game as a way towards winning the progressive jackpot.
There are not many things that are equal to the thrill of having a huge progressive jackpot up for grabs. Even more, being close to winning it is simply mindblowing. Todays slot games often offer huge progressive jackpots that go as high as over $10 million.
The jackpot can be won in either an exciting bonus game or just by playing that particular slot machine game, if it’s triggered randomly. That’s actually the first slot tip I would like to give you – always choose jackpot slots, if you have a choice. You lose nothing, but gain a shot at winning so much more.
Basic Slot Tips
Even though slots is a casino game that cannot be beaten longterm, there are still a couple of tips I would like to share with you. These are quite basic and chances are that you already are aware of them.
- Always choose slots that offer bonus rounds, free spins feature and a progressive jackpot up for grabs. This will greatly improve the entertainment gained from the machine as well as you never know, when luck will be on your side!
- Have a stop loss. Playing slots can be and is a great experience as long as you know the limits. Don’t gamble with money you can’t afford to lose.
- Take advantage of slots bonuses. Online casino industry is very competitive, which leads to casinos constantly improving their bonus systems and offers. Search for a rewarding and valuable bonus and join the casino that offers it.